One day before my birthday. Which means my "40 before 41" journey ends at midnight.
I didn't check everything off the list, and I'm totally OK with that.
I challenged myself to do a whole lot of things I never would have done if I hadn't brought this kind of attention to them. I learned more about what I'm really interested in, and what I'm not. What I wanted to make time for, and what I didn't. What I do regret having not completed — and that just because this particular timeline ends tonight, doesn't mean the pursuit has to end.
Thanks to all of you who have been along for the journey. Your comments have been a joy to read, and I love that I encouraged some of you to make your own lists.
Tomorrow, a new day. A new perspective. And a new list. Join me?
• 40 Before 41 •
- Develop a new website for my blog
- Have a tarot reading done
- Find more opportunities to dance
- Visit a hot springs in Colorado
- See my byline in a national magazine
- Climb Pikes Peak
- Take a trip with a girlfriend
- Skinny dip
- Learn to make ginger beer
- Plant and grow something edible outside
- Intentionally play music in the house every day
- Continue to reduce my wardrobe, a la Project 333
- Take French language lessons — still in progress
- Invest in a week’s worth of matching bras and panties (foundations matter!)
- Visit Ojo Caliente
- Find the perfect red lipstick (and wear it)
- Get make-up tips from a pro
- Read at least 52 books
- Blog at least twice a week — still in progress
- Yoga and meditation, daily — still in progress
- Send a snail mail letter/card/postcard/gift once a month — hit most months
- Play paintball
- Facilitate and participate in at least one improv writing session a month — hit most months
- Build a terrarium
- Learn to bake French macarons
- Plan my next trip to France
- Make new connections with at least three bloggers I respect
- Figure out my signature style — still in progress
- Take classes on how to use all the buttons on my DSLR
- Have at least one item of clothing tailored to fit
- Get will and living will in order — still in progress
- Take performance driving lessons — still in progress
- Give generously what I want to receive — always in progress
- Show up (my 2014 “one-word” soul mantra)
- Add a piece of original art to my collection
- Stay up once all night until sunrise
- Perform at a poetry slam/open mic
- Attend the Santa Fe Opera
- Journal at least weekly
- Participate in a stage show (play, musical, etc.) as cast or crew
The "Miscellaneous Stuff I Did that Wasn't on the List" List
I got on a skateboard for the first time. Fished for the first time, while visiting the Florida Keys, also for the first time. Learned how to clicker train a cat. Chopped 10 inches off my hair. Fostered two pups. Saw Reba perform. Started my Relax and Renew teaching certificate with Judith Hanson Lasater. Participated in three month-long Instagram challenges. Kept my #newrecipeaweek process going. Stopped struggling with making my bed. Started writing for a couple different websites. Interviewed some brilliant folks.