Happy half-birthday to me!
I could panic a little about how much I've not accomplished on this list for being at the half-way point, but instead I'm just going to celebrate everything I have done. (And I'm going to start contacting some of you who I know can help me with some of these things. <grin>)
Notes added and italicized where I've started or completed an item. Read on.
• 41 Before 42 •
- Choreograph a country line dance (and see if Barb will teach it at Cowboys) — I've picked the song I want to use. Time to start working.
- Plant and grow garlic — Gotta get on this over the next month.
- Watch every episode of MASH — G's watching with me, and we've finished the first season and much of the second.
- Try aerial yoga and/or aerial silks — Done!
- Plan my next trip to France (perhaps running a retreat at Little French Retreat)
- Attend a Switchbacks match — Ugh. Missed out because I wasn't paying attention to the calendar. Next year!
- Try kayaking — Done. Not just once, not just twice, but three times. I've learned how much I love water sports.
- Learn barista basics — Done! And I wrote a story about it too. Will post when it prints.
- Plant flower bulbs this fall — Gotta get on this along with the garlic.
- Take a birding and/or bird banding class — Pitched a story on this, so hoping for it to happen in early spring.
- Continue to reduce my wardrobe, a la Project 333 — Progressing.
- Take French language lessons
- Read at least 75 books — I read a ton over the past month, and I feel like this goal is within reach if I can keep that pace up. To date: 35 books done, re-read one, and in progress on six.
- Take classes on how to use the manual functions on my DSLR camera — I'm actually looking at purchasing a new, much smaller and lighter camera to use on my travels, so this goal may shift some over the year.
- Have at least one item of clothing tailored to fit
- Learn to bake croissants — Set to do this next week with a baker friend.
- Get will and living will in order
- Have a bouquet of flowers in the house, fresh once a month — The mums from last month are on their last leaf, so to speak, so planning to pick up something new this week.
- Attend a fest in Telluride — I had this on the calendar and then we had some family issues that meant I had to cancel. Perhaps in the spring...
- Take performance driving lessons
- Add a piece of original art to my collection from an artist I have not yet met
- Stay up once all night until sunrise
- Perform at a poetry slam/open mic
- Learn to bake French macarons — My croissant-baking friend is going to help me with this as well. Lots of baking this winter!
- Attend the Santa Fe Opera — Going, again, on the not-gonna-happen list. Missed the summer season. Sigh. Next year.
- Be involved with a stage show in some way
- Bake a fruit pie, with homemade crust, from scratch — See #24.
- Visit at least one new-to-me museum — Visited Taliesan West in Scottsdale. Absolutely beautiful. Also, visited the Museum of International Folk Art in Santa Fe. Visited the Portland Museum of Art in Maine; Ministers Island in New Brunswick; the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 in Halifax, Nova Scotia; the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax; and the Sherbrooke Village Museum in Nova Scotia. Also the Pinball Museum and the Taubman Museum of Art in Roanoke, Virginia.
- Watch one new-to-me movie and one classic film a month — Saw Pitch Perfect 2! (Laughed and cried.) Tomorrowland, and Mr. Holmes. Also watched Frances Ha. At the Santa Fe Independent Film Festival earlier this month, I viewed the classic A Woman Under the Influence, as well as a bunch of New Mexico shorts and the documentary The Seventh Fire.
- Play Settlers of Catan — Found friends who have the game and want to play.
- Stay at the Beaumont Hotel in Ouray — Hoping to do this in conjunction with the Ouray Ice Festival in January.
- Take an oracle card-making class — Took the awesome Inner Alchemy Fire Cards class, taught online by Mindy Tsonas.
- Research and read more about walking the Camino de Santiago — Picked up a few books and planning to watch the movie, The Way.
- Travel (again) with a girlfriend — Travelled to Santa Fe with two girlfriends. So much fun. Visited Brush Creek Ranch with another friend. (Watch for a story on this in the next issue of Springs Style Magazine.)
- Fly a kite
- Send postcards to friends once a month just because — Doing.
- Try fly fishing — Ah! Done! And loved.
- Visit Shambhala Mountain Center
- Do a Georgia O'Keeffe tour around New Mexico (Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, etc.) — No tour yet, but I did get back to the O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe (which included the stunning-in-person "Above the Clouds I" pictured above), and saw a great O'Keeffe exhibit at the New Mexico Museum of Art.
- Do a not-just-head-shot photo shoot (with Becky)
- Get off my ass already and pitch the nun story to Oprah Magazine
Other accomplishments not on this list: Tried archery for the first time. Played paintball. Rode a horse. Stayed at a dude ranch. Learned to stand-up paddle board. Indoor rock-climbing weekly. Hiked a chunk of the Appalachian Trail. Learned to make tortillas with Chef Mica at the Santa Fe School of Cooking. Sat a few rows away from George R.R. Martin as he honored Gena Rowlands at the Santa Fe Independent Film Festival.
What's on your to-do-that-you've-never-done list this month?