One week in to Project 333 ... 10 lessons so far.
1. I wear a lot of denim. Pretty much every day I'm wearing something that is denim. And usually some variation of blue. In the fall, this usually equates to jeans. In the summer, skirts. On Sunday when I wanted to wear black leggings, I ended up pairing them with a striped tee and ... a jean jacket. (Side note: I'm not sure how I feel about the current denim-on-denim trend, but I gave it a try today, and will probably do it at least once more.)
2. I already miss having more pairs of shoes. I find myself obsessing over my silver Chucks, my animal print heels, my tall black suede boots. I'm realizing that my footwear is often where I play, even more so than ...
3. ... Jewelry. I actually don't miss having more jewelry, though I do wear the few pieces I have very regularly.
4. My wardrobe has more color than I thought it would. On one hand, this makes me happy. On the other ...
5. ... The clothes I've selected for these three months are not super versatile when it comes to mixing and matching and layering (partially because of their colors). I ended up pulling a short-sleeved dress I had not yet worn from my list and replacing it with black leggings because the dress was not layer-able with anything else I had, and particularly because it's getting cooler, it needed to be. This is something I'll consider more in future cycles.
6. I do not own a long-sleeved dress. I find this odd.
7. Having pared down my closet, I'm antsy to eliminate in the realms of workout clothes, PJs, underwear and socks as well. It's driving me nuts that I have to dig through my socks in particular.
8. I've been having more conversation with friends about the value of well-fitting jeans. One of my #40before41 goals was to have an item tailored to fit, and considering how much I wear denim, I've decided to save up to purchase a really good pair of jeans, which I'll have altered to fit my body. One friend told me she did this about four years back, and while coughing up the money was hard, not only does she still own them, she wears them multiple times a week. She believes the investment is worth it.
9. Almost everyone I've been following on Instagram through this owns a pair of Chucks, which just makes me miss my silver Chucks all over again. (And if you didn't know, I'm posting my daily outfits on Instagram here.)
10. Taking full-body selfies is challenging, and awkward. And shooting a daily photo of myself makes me realize I wear my hair up a lot — perhaps it's time for a short cut?